Two years after the acclaimed Zound Zandé album, Burkinabé rapper Art Melody returns with Wogdog Blues – Ouagadougou blues.
An ambitious album which stretches the limits of African hip hop and throws the listener into a musical vortex. Produced by Redrum and Minimalkonstrunction, the beats draw from afrobeat, bass music, 1990s hip hop, African tradition and retro-futurism to best carry Art Melody’s unique flow. The album is mastered by Dave Cooley (Spoek Mathambo, J Dilla, Madvillain) in Los Angeles.
With support from artists such as High Priest from avant-garde hip hop group Antipop Consortium, or Walter Kibby aka Dirty Walt of cult LA band Fishbone, Art Melody helps us break down the borders separating our words.
Powerful, raucous and dark, Art Melody’s voice describes the blues and melancholy of an African people resisting poverty, disease, obscurantism and war daily. Despair which finds hope in Art Melody’s voice.
Art Melody still lives in the same neighborhood with his family.
Past Posts about Art Melody:
- Art Melody – 2015 Tour Dates May 18, 2015It's exciting to see Art Melody coming back to Europe. Fantastic work by Tentacule Records booking loads of shows in France, and Melo's first ever appearances in Scandinavia at Clandestino Festival in Göteborg in June and at Malmö Live in July!
- Art Melody – Rogomiki Video April 15, 2015Art Melody's been busy! Besides two upcoming full albums brewing, he found time to take part in a new video shot in Ouagadougou by Bastien Papillier, for the song Rogomiki (our traditions) from his last album Wogdog Blues.
- Art Melody – “Bamb Rat” Video October 9, 2014As the lethal Ouagalais MC records his next opus, the Tentacule Records team put together this video, directed by Jérémie Lenoir. Pure hip hop vibes, Melos thunder barely contained in the colorful collage. Still a few copies of his Wogdog Blues album available on vinyl, check it here!
- Art Melody – Very Limited Edition Vinyl October 28, 2013This is very, very exciting: Akwaaba's very first vinyl release! And also the first vinyl release from any Burkinabé artist in years... and the only African hip hop vinyl in years - or even ever? We only pressed very, very few copies of Art Melody's album Wogdog Blues, grab one of 150 records from Bandcamp…
- Art Melody – Great Review on +d’Afrique (French) October 15, 2013Veuillez installer Flash Player pour lire la vidéo+D'Afrique du 11/10/2013 Partie 5 - +D'Afrique du 11/10/2013 Partie 5 For those of you who speak French...